Panzanella (aka – bread salad)
- olive oil (1/4 cup)
- salt (teaspoon)
- pepper (1/2 teaspoon)
- pesto (1/4 cup)
- motz pearls (3/4 cup)
- grape/cherry tomatoes (1 cup)
- bread (3 cups cubed)
- kalamata olives (1/4 cup)
- capers (1 tablespoon)
- vinegar (drizzle)
- diced red onion (2 tablespoons)
- Please note that all measurements above are approximate and can be adjusted to your liking. I totally winged this recipe based on my neighbors recommendation on what to do with our cookout leftovers. So with that in mind, use what you have and the measurements you like. There’s no wrong way to make this.
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- While the oven is preheating, cube your bread. I used day old hamburger and hotdog buns. The rule of thumb: fill a sheet pan in an even layer. This would feed about 3 people.
- Once bread is cubed, drizzle olive oil on top of it, sprinkle some salt, pepper and whatever other seasoning you’re craving. Toss and spread out bread again in an even layer.
- Pop the bread in the oven for about 10 minutes. Keep your eyes and nose on it. You’ll know it’s done when it looks and smells toasty.
- While the bread is getting toasty, throw the rest of the stuff in the bowl. Whatever you’re feeling, if you love motz, use more of it! I used more tomatoes than motz. I actually used leftover caprese bites from the night before. I also used the leftover pesto as my dressing.
- Once the bread is done, let it cool a bit while you finish prepping the salad. Add the bread when it’s cooled, and toss it all together. Doctor it up with more oil or vinegar (I used pomegranate oil, but balsamic would be great). Taste it and adjust seasonings and ingredients as needed.
On a side note, I called this posted “Mixed Monday” because I was in a mixed up state of mind today. Physically, I’m fighting either a cold (my 4th one this year!) or an allergy attack. No fun. Also, I’m in a bit of a professional funk. I got 4 rejection emails today for jobs I applied for. Ugh. So my question to you is, how do you find hope in the unknown and lows of life? I guess I tried to soothe my soreness with bread salad tonight 😉